Location and time are important when creating believable stories. You need to be able to convince the reader that this is a real world. Part of this exercise is crafting a scene where there is a lot of attention given to location and time. I’ll be giving you some examples to get you started, but feel free to use your own. Use as much description as possible. If you’re not familiar with the location or time you want to write about, research is the key. Try writing at least 1000 words for this one.
1. A cafe in 1988, in Leith, Scotland
2. A shopping mall in California – today
3. A living room in someone’s home 1966, England. The house was built in 1620’s
4. In a car. Germany – motorway. 2000.
5. On a farm in Ireland, 1900.
6. On a boat in the Atlantic. (On deck, the bridge or a stateroom) yesterday. (think Google News)
Have fun. If possible, once you’ve finished, drop a comment with a link for us to see…